What should I expect with liposuction surgery?
Liposuction in Houston can typically be performed with only a small amount of IV sedation. You can return home the same day. The procedure can take from two to four hours, depending on how much liposuction is being performed.
- Very small incisions are made in precise locations, depending on where liposuction is being performed. These small incisions are typically well hidden.
- After incisions are placed, a tumescent solution is injected into the area. This solution typically contains epinephrine to decrease the amount of bleeding (by constricting the small blood vessels).
- Lidocaine, a local anesthetic, may be added to the solution for greater patient comfort, particularly if the procedure is performed under IV sedation.
- After the tumescent solution has been given time to work, liposuction is performed using one of the following methods: suction-assisted liposuction, power-assisted liposuction, or VASER (using ultrasound frequency).
- The preferred method is the MicroAire power-assisted liposuction system, as it is very efficient at removing fat and produces a beautiful, smooth result.
- When the appropriate amount of fat has been removed, the small incisions are closed. In some cases, incisions may be left open to drain.